The Town of Zionsville will be providing the annual Heavy Trash Collection for residents in the urban service district the week of May 3, 2021 on your regular trash collection day. This service provides Zionsville residents in the urban service district a means to dispose of objects and materials not normally accepted by the weekly trash service. Items must be placed curbside by 7 a.m. on your regular trash collection day in order to guarantee collection.
Multiple crews from both Ray’s Trash Service and the Town of Zionsville Department of Public Works (DPW) will be collecting heavy trash and may visit residences more than one time based on volume. Refrigerant-bearing appliances and tires will be collected by DPW staff. Residents placing refrigerant-bearing appliances and tires curbside should contact DPW with a description and address for pick-up. Although this is a free service for residents, DPW must be notified.
Unacceptable items: Antifreeze, oil, gasoline, gasoline cans/tanks, propane tanks, batteries, paint, paint thinners, flammable or toxic liquids, medical waste, construction and demolition debris, any type of fencing, concrete, bricks, sod, soil, trees, tree trunks or stumps. Some of these items are accepted at the tox-away collection events (see below).
Tips for residents:
- Throughout the year, Ray’s Trash Service will accept one large or heavy trash item per week for a small fee. To coordinate pick up, please contact Ray’s directly at (317) 539-2024.
- To keep items out of a landfill, the Town of Zionsville encourages donations to Goodwill and Habitat for Humanity ReStore Boone County (acceptable items can be found here).
- Freon-containing appliances do not require the removal of Freon prior to pick-up. Appliances will be transported to a recovery site to ensure proper disposal of Freon and other refrigerants.
- Gas and oil reservoirs in the lawn and any other equipment must be empty for pick-up. Individual gasoline cans/tanks are considered unacceptable materials for pick-up.
- Boone County Solid Waste Management District (BCSWMD) hosts two tox-away collection events per year. This year the events take place on April 24, 2021 at the Boone County Highway Department and on August 21, 2021 at the Zionsville Municipal Services Building. For questions, please call BCSWMD at (765) 483-0687.
More information about Heavy Trash Collection, including FAQs, can be found online. For other questions, please call DPW at (317) 873-4544.